Togo’s national soccer team traveled home on Sunday after pulling out of the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola. Gunmen attacked their team bus on Friday killing three people.

Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos denounced the attack by separatist rebels in the northern enclave of Cabinda, as the Africa Cup of Nations kicked off in Angola on Sunday.

„We condemn this act of terror, but the competition will continue in Cabinda,” Dos Santos said as he opened the tournament in the capital, Luanda.

His government and African football officials had earlier pleaded with the Togolese authorities to allow the players to fulfill their wish to compete in the tournament to honour their slain colleagues.

„It’s very sad. It’s hard for Africa and for us. These things are part of life, you have to accept it,” Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor, who plays his club football for Manchester City, told the AFP news agency at the airport in Cabinda.

The team later arrived on a government plane in the Togolese capital Lome, where it was met at the airport by Prime Minister Gilbert Fossoun Houngbo, members of the government and sports officials, an AFP correspondent reported.

The attack by hooded gunmen claimed the lives of Togo’s assistant coach and the team’s press officer along with one of the drivers of the convoy.

The Togolese reserve goalkeeper, Kodjovi Obilale, reportedly sustained two gunshot wounds in the attack and was flown to South Africa for hospital treatment. He is said to be in a stable condition.

Seven others were also injured in the incident on Friday, including defender Serge Akakpo of the Romanian team Vaslui. The other injured passengers included two squad doctors and a journalist.

The attack threatens to overshadow the tournament, which takes place in Angola over the next three weeks.

The assailants opened fire on the vehicles as they travelled from Cabinda, an Angolan enclave to the north of the country. The attack lasted some 20 minutes.

Responsibility for the assault has been claimed by the separatist group Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC).

The oil-producing region of Cabinda has been the site of a decades-long struggle for independence by the separatist group FLEC. Despite this, it is scheduled to play host to seven tournament matches this month.

We’re sorry, due to legal issues this content can not be transmitted as live stream.

If you are inside the United States, it is still possible for you to enjoy DW-TV. For more information, please click

Ballspiel keeps up on the Bundesliga, while eying the other European leagues.

Read up on Bundesliga teams, follow the action via live ticker and pick favorites at DW-WORLD.DE.

Read the article on Deutsche Welle World

Togo soccer team quits soccer tournament

Togo’s national soccer team traveled home on Sunday after pulling out of the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola. Gunmen attacked their team bus on Friday killing three people.

Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos denounced the attack by separatist rebels in the northern enclave of Cabinda, as the Africa Cup of Nations kicked off in Angola on Sunday.

„We condemn this act of terror, but the competition will continue in Cabinda,” Dos Santos said as he opened the tournament in the capital, Luanda.

His government and African football officials had earlier pleaded with the Togolese authorities to allow the players to fulfill their wish to compete in the tournament to honour their slain colleagues.

„It’s very sad. It’s hard for Africa and for us. These things are part of life, you have to accept it,” Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor, who plays his club football for Manchester City, told the AFP news agency at the airport in Cabinda.

The team later arrived on a government plane in the Togolese capital Lome, where it was met at the airport by Prime Minister Gilbert Fossoun Houngbo, members of the government and sports officials, an AFP correspondent reported.

The attack by hooded gunmen claimed the lives of Togo’s assistant coach and the team’s press officer along with one of the drivers of the convoy.

The Togolese reserve goalkeeper, Kodjovi Obilale, reportedly sustained two gunshot wounds in the attack and was flown to South Africa for hospital treatment. He is said to be in a stable condition.

Seven others were also injured in the incident on Friday, including defender Serge Akakpo of the Romanian team Vaslui. The other injured passengers included two squad doctors and a journalist.

The attack threatens to overshadow the tournament, which takes place in Angola over the next three weeks.

The assailants opened fire on the vehicles as they travelled from Cabinda, an Angolan enclave to the north of the country. The attack lasted some 20 minutes.

Responsibility for the assault has been claimed by the separatist group Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC).

The oil-producing region of Cabinda has been the site of a decades-long struggle for independence by the separatist group FLEC. Despite this, it is scheduled to play host to seven tournament matches this month.

We’re sorry, due to legal issues this content can not be transmitted as live stream.

If you are inside the United States, it is still possible for you to enjoy DW-TV. For more information, please click

Ballspiel keeps up on the Bundesliga, while eying the other European leagues.

Read up on Bundesliga teams, follow the action via live ticker and pick favorites at DW-WORLD.DE.

Read the article on Deutsche Welle World

Postat de pe data de 31 dec., 2009 in categoria România în lume. Poti urmari comentariile acestui articol prin RSS 2.0. Acest articol a fost vizualizat de 47 ori.

Publica un raspuns