Victor Hanescu has apologised for the spitting incident that marred his third-round Wimbledon exit at the hands of Daniel Brands.

The Romanian, who had already let a two-set lead and match points slip, lost his temper with a section of the crowd who were heckling him on Court 18 on Friday night and appeared to spit in their direction before seeming to deliberately lose a service game.

He retired, citing a leg injury, at 3-0 down in the final set.

There was speculation Hanescu could be barred from returning to Wimbledon next year but he has been fined 7,500 US dollars (£4,979) for unsportsmanlike conduct and the same figure for “not using best efforts” at the conclusion of the match.

In a statement, he said: “I would like to apologise to the fans, the AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis Club) and everyone else for my behaviour last night at the end of my match against Daniel Brands.

“There were people in the crowd that had been insulting me since the beginning of the match.

“I was winning, had four match points in the third set, but unfortunately I could not close it out.

“Then I got a leg injury at the end of the fourth set.

“I lost my control briefly in the fifth set after another insult from someone in the crowd.

Hanescu’s apology should draw a line under the incident. Considering his contrition it seems highly unlikely the 28-year-old will appeal against his punishment.

Wimbledon referee Andrew Jarrett had announced the financial penalty earlier in the day.

Jarrett said: “Following a review conducted by the Championships referee in association with the grand slam supervisors into the incident on Court 18 yesterday evening, the player, Victor Hanescu, has been fined USD 7,500 for unsportsmanlike conduct and a further USD 7,500 for not using best efforts at the conclusion of the match.

Hanescu’s fine has been deducted from the £31,250 in prize money he picked up for reaching the third round.

Romania’s Davis Cup captain Andrei Pavel believes Hanescu will be able to put the incident behind him.

Pavel, a former world number 13, described Hanescu’s actions as out of character, telling Romanian newspaper ProSport: “I think it was an explosion of anger after he failed to finish a match in which he had chances. And he was affected by those people who annoyed him.

“He has never expressed much anger and is very focused on his game. I’m sure that he’s sorry for everything that happened on account of grief and fatigue. I’m sure he will recover.”

Hanescu, who was given a seeding when Ivo Karlovic withdrew on the eve of the tournament, is not playing in the men’s or mixed doubles and left the Championships immediately after ending his singles match.

Scotland Yard confirmed four men arrested last night under the Public Order Act following complaints from Hanescu have been bailed to return on August 16 pending further enquiries by officers.

Read the article on sportinglife.com

VICTOR HANESCU ISSUES APOLOGY

Victor Hanescu has apologised for the spitting incident that marred his third-round Wimbledon exit at the hands of Daniel Brands.

The Romanian, who had already let a two-set lead and match points slip, lost his temper with a section of the crowd who were heckling him on Court 18 on Friday night and appeared to spit in their direction before seeming to deliberately lose a service game.

He retired, citing a leg injury, at 3-0 down in the final set.

There was speculation Hanescu could be barred from returning to Wimbledon next year but he has been fined 7,500 US dollars (£4,979) for unsportsmanlike conduct and the same figure for “not using best efforts” at the conclusion of the match.

In a statement, he said: “I would like to apologise to the fans, the AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis Club) and everyone else for my behaviour last night at the end of my match against Daniel Brands.

“There were people in the crowd that had been insulting me since the beginning of the match.

“I was winning, had four match points in the third set, but unfortunately I could not close it out.

“Then I got a leg injury at the end of the fourth set.

“I lost my control briefly in the fifth set after another insult from someone in the crowd.

Hanescu’s apology should draw a line under the incident. Considering his contrition it seems highly unlikely the 28-year-old will appeal against his punishment.

Wimbledon referee Andrew Jarrett had announced the financial penalty earlier in the day.

Jarrett said: “Following a review conducted by the Championships referee in association with the grand slam supervisors into the incident on Court 18 yesterday evening, the player, Victor Hanescu, has been fined USD 7,500 for unsportsmanlike conduct and a further USD 7,500 for not using best efforts at the conclusion of the match.

Hanescu’s fine has been deducted from the £31,250 in prize money he picked up for reaching the third round.

Romania’s Davis Cup captain Andrei Pavel believes Hanescu will be able to put the incident behind him.

Pavel, a former world number 13, described Hanescu’s actions as out of character, telling Romanian newspaper ProSport: “I think it was an explosion of anger after he failed to finish a match in which he had chances. And he was affected by those people who annoyed him.

“He has never expressed much anger and is very focused on his game. I’m sure that he’s sorry for everything that happened on account of grief and fatigue. I’m sure he will recover.”

Hanescu, who was given a seeding when Ivo Karlovic withdrew on the eve of the tournament, is not playing in the men’s or mixed doubles and left the Championships immediately after ending his singles match.

Scotland Yard confirmed four men arrested last night under the Public Order Act following complaints from Hanescu have been bailed to return on August 16 pending further enquiries by officers.

Read the article on sportinglife.com

Postat de pe data de 28 iun., 2010 in categoria România în lume. Poti urmari comentariile acestui articol prin RSS 2.0. Acest articol a fost vizualizat de 371 ori.

Publica un raspuns