Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones has reaffirmed his commitment to the club after huge speculation surrounding his future during the January transfer window.

Jones was believed to a target of Liverpool last month as Reds boss Rafa Benitez looked for reinforcements to support Fernando Torres and get the club’s faltering season back on track.

The 25-year-old never reacted to the speculation, but the Trinidadian insists his heart remains in the Sunderland cause – and that none of the transfer talk was an attempt by himself to manufacture a move.

„I didn’t have any part to play in that whole situation,” Jones told The Journal.

„There were stories going back and forth that were disturbing – there is no possible way that you can avoid reading anything in the papers but you try and lock yourself away from it as much as possible.

„If you noticed during all of this stuff I never came out and gave any indication that I wanted to leave, that I was unhappy or anything like that.

„For me, that assumption is a bit far-fetched. There was a lot of stuff being said by whoever and you can’t stop that.”

The former Southampton striker says he will now continue to give his all in the Black Cats shirt, as his side look to reverse a dour run of form that has seen them fall into relegation contention.

He added: „All I can do to prove I am committed to Sunderland is by showing it in games – and hopefully people can then see it with their own eyes now.

„It’s nice to hear the fans singing my name in the last two or three games but I think they have been doing it most of the season. It’s great to know that they recognise that when I wear a Sunderland shirt I give it 100%.

January was not the first time Jones has been linked with a big move to one of the Premier League’s top clubs.

Liverpool were said to be interested in the striker in 2007, with Tottenham apparently courting the Trinidad & Tobago international during last January’s window.

Alex McLeish also had his eye on the Sunderland man, but again no move materialised despite Birmingham believed to be offering £12m for his services.

Jones insists he is happy to remain on Wearside – for the time being at least – admitting a deal with one of the „world’s big clubs” would be tempting.

But with a contract tying him to the Stadium of Light till the summer of 2013, Sunderland fans can expect to see their seven-goal striker stay put for the time being.

„If one of the world’s big clubs comes in for you it’s understandable a player might have the desire to go to that next level,” said Jones.

„Until you sign a contract with a new club it’s all just talk. January was a crazy time and now I have to focus on the games ahead.

„The manager spoke to me. The reassuring speech came out to let me know the club still wanted me. That is always nice to hear.

„But sometimes a big situation like the transfer story can make it hard for the manager to say anything. But as far as I am concerned, we are all needed.”

Liverpool and Everton are both improving and Paul Merson can’t separate them on derby day.

Ian Snodin told Sky Sports News that Everton needn’t fear going to Anfield on Saturday.

Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Wolves in 2004. Can you name the mystery starting XI?

Jamie Carragher has handed Liverpool an injury boost after being declared fit to face Unirea Urziceni.

Liverpool new boy Maxi Rodriguez insists he is enjoying life at Anfield following his arrival last month.

Rafa Benitez has vowed to give the Europa League his best shot ahead of the clash with Unirea Urziceni.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez believes Javier Mascherano is setting an example to his team-mates.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez claims the clash with Manchester City will not decide who finishes in the top four.

Read the article on Sky Sports

Jones in Cats commitment call

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones has reaffirmed his commitment to the club after huge speculation surrounding his future during the January transfer window.

Jones was believed to a target of Liverpool last month as Reds boss Rafa Benitez looked for reinforcements to support Fernando Torres and get the club’s faltering season back on track.

The 25-year-old never reacted to the speculation, but the Trinidadian insists his heart remains in the Sunderland cause – and that none of the transfer talk was an attempt by himself to manufacture a move.

„I didn’t have any part to play in that whole situation,” Jones told The Journal.

„There were stories going back and forth that were disturbing – there is no possible way that you can avoid reading anything in the papers but you try and lock yourself away from it as much as possible.

„If you noticed during all of this stuff I never came out and gave any indication that I wanted to leave, that I was unhappy or anything like that.

„For me, that assumption is a bit far-fetched. There was a lot of stuff being said by whoever and you can’t stop that.”

The former Southampton striker says he will now continue to give his all in the Black Cats shirt, as his side look to reverse a dour run of form that has seen them fall into relegation contention.

He added: „All I can do to prove I am committed to Sunderland is by showing it in games – and hopefully people can then see it with their own eyes now.

„It’s nice to hear the fans singing my name in the last two or three games but I think they have been doing it most of the season. It’s great to know that they recognise that when I wear a Sunderland shirt I give it 100%.

January was not the first time Jones has been linked with a big move to one of the Premier League’s top clubs.

Liverpool were said to be interested in the striker in 2007, with Tottenham apparently courting the Trinidad & Tobago international during last January’s window.

Alex McLeish also had his eye on the Sunderland man, but again no move materialised despite Birmingham believed to be offering £12m for his services.

Jones insists he is happy to remain on Wearside – for the time being at least – admitting a deal with one of the „world’s big clubs” would be tempting.

But with a contract tying him to the Stadium of Light till the summer of 2013, Sunderland fans can expect to see their seven-goal striker stay put for the time being.

„If one of the world’s big clubs comes in for you it’s understandable a player might have the desire to go to that next level,” said Jones.

„Until you sign a contract with a new club it’s all just talk. January was a crazy time and now I have to focus on the games ahead.

„The manager spoke to me. The reassuring speech came out to let me know the club still wanted me. That is always nice to hear.

„But sometimes a big situation like the transfer story can make it hard for the manager to say anything. But as far as I am concerned, we are all needed.”

Liverpool and Everton are both improving and Paul Merson can’t separate them on derby day.

Ian Snodin told Sky Sports News that Everton needn’t fear going to Anfield on Saturday.

Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Wolves in 2004. Can you name the mystery starting XI?

Jamie Carragher has handed Liverpool an injury boost after being declared fit to face Unirea Urziceni.

Liverpool new boy Maxi Rodriguez insists he is enjoying life at Anfield following his arrival last month.

Rafa Benitez has vowed to give the Europa League his best shot ahead of the clash with Unirea Urziceni.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez believes Javier Mascherano is setting an example to his team-mates.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez claims the clash with Manchester City will not decide who finishes in the top four.

Read the article on Sky Sports

Postat de pe data de 31 ian., 2010 in categoria România în lume. Poti urmari comentariile acestui articol prin RSS 2.0. Acest articol a fost vizualizat de 80 ori.

Publica un raspuns